Safeguarding policy for the parish
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding our churches are committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
The PCC appoints the following as Parish Safeguarding Officers:
St Luke’s: Nicky Burr (Children and Adults at Risk (Vulnerable Adults)
St Augustine’s: Dot Lenton (Children) and Howard Green (Adults at Risk and Vulnerable Adults)
What to do if you have a safeguarding concern If you have a safeguarding concern about a child or vulnerable adult please contact the parish safeguarding officers:St Luke’s: Nicky Burr: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07866 483890 St Augustine’s: Dot Lenton (children): email@example.com Tel: 01603 627944 Howard Green (vulnerable adults): firstname.lastname@example.org T Tel: 07879 883045
Useful Contact Numbers
Where a child or adult is at imminent risk call 999.
Local Authority Number for contacting the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub in relation to concerns for the safety of Children and Adults: 0344 800 8020 NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000
Childline 0800 1111
Harbour Centre (Sexual Assualt Referral Centre) Norfolk 01603 276381
Refuge, Domestic abuse (women and men) 020 7395 7771
MACSAS (Minister and Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors) 0808 801 0340
NAPAC (National Association for People Abused in Childhood) 0808 801 0331
Diocese of Norwich Safeguarding Advisers: Sue Brice: email@example.com 07958 377079 Sian Griffiths: firstname.lastname@example.org 07342 999386 Further information available at: https://www.dioceseofnorwich.org/training/safeguarding